Theresa M Fkf

| map-marker Phoenix, Arizona

VERY UNSATISFIED!!!!!!

Jeaneene caller and Kathy coopage took thousands of dollars and never settled anything! They continue to hound me for money, and then threatened to send me to collections! They dont care about their clients and their commercials are all fake!!! They dont offer pro bono because they dont want to help you! They have no professionalism, and they use your disabilities against you!!! You cant trust anything they say!!! Very bad business that needs to reenburse all clients and their money!!! These people are greedy and money hungry!!!

User's recommendation: No do not trust them!

map-marker Danbury, Connecticut

Inefective council

my sons lawyer through cordel was totally ineffective after taking $19,000 dollars from me.he got 0 visitations with his daughter and hasnt seen her in 4 years.if your looking for a divorce lawyer go elaewhere and thank me later.

User's recommendation: absoulutly NOT!

Daniel S Xhw

Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

Overcharged then refused to finish job

Cordell And Cordell - Overcharged then refused to finish job
Cordell And Cordell - Overcharged then refused to finish job - Image 2
Cordell And Cordell - Overcharged then refused to finish job - Image 3

I am the full time father of three going through a divorce. We moved to Oregon from Idaho.

Idaho ruled that Oregon had jurisdiction for the divorce. My ex appealed that decision and I retained this firm. They were very hard to keep in contact with and i seemed to have to suggest things to file and how to fight the appeal so that they knew what direction to take. The appeal was won however, the court didn't specify that my ex was responsible for attorney fees.

My lawyer said that he would file a motion for clarification. I paid them the $5000 retainerin the beginning. They racked up an additional $12k plus in expenses in just a few months. About a month after I had last spoken to anyone about my case I saw that they still had not filed that motion like they said they would.

After asking them what happened, they sent me a nasty email on how they weren't going to file anything unless I paid $2000/ month or paid my bill in full! WTF?

So they refused to finish the job on literally the last thing needed on this case because I had not yet paid them in full? I paid my retainer and never once had a conversation with them close to this except with my lawyer when I told him about my financial circumstances and need for them to pursue my ex for funds because I am raising the three kids on my own with a severe disability and no support from anyone.

Sever ethical deficiency with this firm!

Loss:
Pros:
  • Large firm with lots of lawyers
Cons:
  • I had to keep checking up on them
  • Poor communication
  • Overpricing of services

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Stay away! Not worth it!

Aniah Baq
map-marker Jacksonville, Florida

BEWARE: This firm will milk your finances dry!!!

Hired this firm to represent me in my divorce case. Within the first 6 weeks, I was billed close to $16,000.

Within the first 3 months I paid approximately the firm $30,000 based on their billing. The real kicker is that I had nothing to show for it. Not a single objective had been achieved. I was actually in a worse off position than before I hired them.

They have no commitment or loyalty to clients. They ate quick to threaten withdrawal for an outstanding invoice. There are periods when there was absolutely nothing being done to move the case forward in court or otherwise and I got a bill for over 4 figures. Absolutely ridiculous.

Needless to say I had to fire them. Wish I had done so sooner as I am now $30,000 poorer and credit score has plummeted as a result of paying their high bills in such short period.

User's recommendation: DO NOT HIRE THIS FIRM!

Guest

my sons lawyer through cordel chose to take the nice way approach in divorce case.hasnt seen his 5 year old daughter in 3 years and has no visitation,$19,000 later. unbelievable.save your money and go elsewhere!

John G Gso

| map-marker London, England

Customer service is the worst.

Billing is ridiculous - get the run-around with every question. Took month to simply have them close my account after my issue was resolved. Still waiting for the refund of the money I had to put into escrow with them. Got charged for every tiny issue, including a call which a receptionist answered. Still puzzled over being charged for 2 hours for "Legal research" over a simple, ordinary issue. Isn't that why they go to law school, to know the law?
Loss:
Pros:
  • Cordial initial meeting
Cons:
  • Horrible customer service and horrible billing

Preferred solution: Just the money held in trust (about $1,800), which is supposed to be fully refundable when account is closed.

User's recommendation: Avoid them.

Justin G Ebh

Don't Count on Cordell & Cordell

I invested several years and many thousands of dollars in Kristin Zurek and in Cordell & Cordell. They advertised themselves as lawyers dads can count on.

But both behaved unethically and unprofessionally.

As my case drew to a close, I raised concerns with Kristin about the quality of legal services I had received. In short, the judges position contradicted the vast majority of Kristins legal advice. Rather than discuss my concerns, Kristin filed a motion to withdraw, leaving me without representation only days before trial. Because I followed Kristins advice, my ex-wife's harmful parenting remains unchecked, and I am in no better position to help my children.

Follow-up attempts with the firms Client Care division, with management partner Kimberly Gray, and with founding partner Joseph Cordell were unhelpful.

I cannot recoup my investment, nor can I reverse the negative outcome for my children. But if youre reading this, you can avoid my missteps.

Dads: dont hire Kristin, nor any Cordell & Cordell attorney. You cannot count on them.

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: I invested several years and many thousands of dollars in Kristin and in Cordell & Cordell. They advertised themselves as lawyers dads can count on. But both behaved unethically and unprofessionally. As my case drew to a close, I raised concerns with Kristin about the quality of legal services I had received. In short, the judge’s position contradicted the vast majority of Kristin’s legal advice. Rather than discuss my concerns, Kristin filed a motion to withdraw, leaving me without representation only days before trial. Because I followed Kristin’s advice, my ex-wife's harmful parenting remains unchecked, and I am in no better position to help my children. Follow-up attempts with the firm’s Client Care division, with management partner Kimberly Gray, and with founding partner Joseph Cordell were unhelpful. I posed questions about quality of legal advice, commitment to clients, major discrepancies between projected and actual costs, truth in advertising, value of services, and the client care process. Across emails and phone calls, my concerns were repeatedly sidestepped, and in every interaction I was treated more like a witness to be cross-examined than a paying client. When the Missouri Bar became involved, both Kristin and Cordell & Cordell refused to cooperate. I cannot recoup my investment, nor can I reverse the negative outcome for my children. But if you’re reading this, you can avoid my missteps. Dads: don’t hire Kristin, nor any Cordell & Cordell attorney. You cannot count on them.

Guest

AGREED 100%!! Worse law firm I have ever worked with!

Nadine Martin cost us thousands of dollars! Two weeks after we released them from being our legal representation, we were referred to a local attorney that found a loop hole in our child support case and saved us $60,000!

Nadine Martin NEVER looked for a loop hole or ways go help me as a dad! I was shafted BIG TIME!

Madisan Abw

They are are very unprofessional and in my case of only 38+ days for retaining them, for a very simple case regarding visitation they sent me two more bills after the original $3,000 for another &1,700+. They never set foot in the court room however, wanted to post pone his case for 6 months.

I'm sure they would have tried to bill me every month until June for doing nothing. I'm writing the BAR

reply icon Replying to comment of Madisan Abw

Yes, they would have continued billing each month ($740) while we do nothing but wait for the case they intentionally delayed. That's what they're doing to me now. They make their money from taking advantage of their own clients.

View more comments (2)
Jennifer J Vsx

Terrible Company

I spent thousands of dollars on Nadine Martin. Her bed side manner is horrible and you can barely understand anything she says.

She never listened to anything I had to say because she was so consumed with finding MY faults and wrongdoings. Yes, this was supposed to be MY attorney! Terrible representation. She never discussed ANY of my rights as a man, very false advertising on that part.

This was one of the worst experiences I have had and it's even more terrible that you are paying for this type of treatment. And yes, they price gouge you for absolutely zero service!

DO NOT use this company - the biggest mistake I could have made!

Loss:
Cons:
  • Ignorance
  • Very poor customer service
  • False advertising

Shane S Avv

| map-marker Independence, Missouri

Poor service questionable billing

I had a consult with who I thought was going to be my last and after giving them money was given to another attorney in the firm. Phone calls were not returned emails were returned sometimes but the bill was always sent in a timely manner.

I fired the firm on a Monday and was contacted on Tuesday by the attorney by phone and charged for the phone call. How can you charge me when I told you I dont want your services? When I questioned them about this they offered to refund the call charge if I would not leave bad reviews.

Stay away from this law firm they try and find anyway possible to take your money. They are just as bad if not worse than your spouse about wanting to take all that you have.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Make lots of money
Cons:
  • Money made is at expense of ignorant clients

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Hire anyone other than this law firm

David L Vxs

| map-marker Jacksonville, Florida

Too expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charged me almost $24,000 for a case that was turned over to them. Charged me for information I already had done. Then when I complained they still would not consider their error. Here I am retired and on a fixed income, and they done nothing to help but seriously helped ruin my retirement!.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Friendly on the phone
Cons:
  • Cost

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: NEVER USE CORDELL AND CORDELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

map-marker Denver, Colorado

Horrible Experience - Overbilling and Deplorable Service!

Cordell & Cordell advertises them as caring protectors of fathers' rights. It is obvious that they should be renamed Passive and uncaring OVER-Billers.

I was quoted that the entire process would cost under 10k and in 3 months with NOTHING having been accomplished they had billed ~7k. They billed for 5-10 word emails or text messages while not representing the agenda or goals of their client. When asked about billing practices and disconnection in expectations of the performance they were condescending, argumentative, and insolent.

If you are a father looking for help in a custodial matter, I would think twice about getting involved with an uncaring money-making machine like Cordell, and pick a small firm that actually cares that they are helping you! STAY AWAY!!

Cons:
  • Poor customer service
  • Excessive costs and delay in reimbursement
  • Neglectful representation

User's recommendation: Stay Away!

map-marker Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Overcharges & misrepresentation

The absolute worse divorce firm in the country. Overcharged, misrepresented & gave more away than needed to be. Never gave suggestions. Communication cost me a lot even when they were doing absolutely nothing. Almost $40,000 dollars in fees. Dragged it out for more than 2 years. The attorney that was assigned to me left as they were still charging me every single month. They are not who they advertise who they are. They are legal thieves at the top of my list. Horrible!!!

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

Sian M Eif

| map-marker North Fort Myers, Florida

Lack of experience

Based upon my own personal experience with Cordell and Cordell this firm policies was created to protect their attorneys, and generate the most income out of their clients. They are NOT for the people.

There is one attorney who genuinely cares for her clients and have their best interest at heart, however due to her lack of experience

You will be very disappointed in paying $300/hr.

I was told "all judges have some bias," after paying over $30k+ in attorney fees/hearings etc.

If I was told that statement in the beginning I would have saved a lot of my time and money from further representation from this firm. I was also told "I'm not sure how to explain what a Parent Coordinator is." And "I'm not sure what else to say." In reference to adding more Witnesses to my case.

You will be charged $25/per email, even if it is a simple "thank you." You will be charged $300/hr for a phone call. You will be given advise that can be used against you in the court of law if your opponent has a more experienced attorney.

It is great to have an attorney that cares for you but unfortunately none of that matters in the court of law.

Hire a private or small family owned law firm with an well experienced attorney. You will have a much better chance at preventing your case from getting worse or a stronger chance at winning.

Experience is what makes a difference in the court of law.

Do not waste your time with large firms. Larger firms are designed to charge higher rates and do not all have attorneys that are all on the same level of experience. (Especially this one). A client should never be charged $300/hr for an attorney that is not fully knowledgeable of the law.

In conclusion, if you are dissatisfied with your attorney.

You are not allowed to speak or contact your attorneys supervisor. According to Cordell's policy, you are only allowed to speak with your attorney in reference to your concern and the "client Coordinator" who is their customer service representative.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Willing to help at the start
Cons:
  • Unqualified attorney

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

User's recommendation: Warning: Don't waste your time or money.

map-marker Phoenix, Arizona

They are clearly incompetent, unable to do what they say they will.

The firm had a lawyer on my side that told apposing council, and a court clinician, that I dropped out of an intervention program because I didn't want to take a drug test. In reality, it was because the program wasn't going to let me video chat with my 8-year-old daughter, who was STOLEN from me by her manipulate av mother!! Then they charged me over $20,000 to represent me. Don't use this firm!!

User's recommendation: Never use this firm!!

Shirleen C Jhm
map-marker Evesham, New Jersey

Disappointed and I was ripped off

Misuse of client trust funds, over billing and unnecessary charges my lawyer Ashley Ward withdrew from my case because I voice my opinion about another attorney lack of interest and involvement during her maternity leave.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: don't waste your time they only care about money and not people

Guest

well put i agree, my lawyer basically billed me and posted it to notes dont think she ever went back and eread them because I did and guess what they said just what the billing said saved posted to notes what the *** type of note is that still have know idea what she did or didnt do. all i do know is i got billed for it heavily

map-marker Portland, Maine

I want dads to do more homework than I did before hiring a divorce lawyer

Cordell and Cordell...

Well, my 1st attorney was great, I won't give names. She quit and left the firm, in less than a yr.

I was given another attorney( I didn't get to choose). But I had high hopes as a dad and this was advertised as lawyers for dads and dads rights!

The attorney came to me sick recovering from covid.( thats fine, we all have are battles).

Now at this point thinking I hired someone of experience and fight. well thats what I read, was told and billed for.(300$ an hr)

Unfortunately, in my struggles through my case( which durning covid, was alot of zoom court hearings). My 300$per hr attorney had me talk the majority of the time and explain my feelings on what I felt was wanted, needed and expected to the judge.

Never once giving me advice.(but was billed 300$ per hr that he was there)The only advice I got was, sorry she will get what she wants. My attorney said I need to hire a GAL. Again I was left trying to explain my self with not help from my 300$ an hr attorney. ( but I was billed )

We did have court agreements for her to return certain items to me.

When I express my concerns that these items have not been returned.

My attorney never seemed to care.

Never made an effort to file any paper to make it happen, I lost hope.

The kicker is after paying close to 5k in the middle of my divorce and I lost rights to my child lost my childhood house and all my childhood possessions, I was told by Cordell that I owed them another 2k and if I couldn't pay it within 10 days that they had to drop me as a client.

So ya, they dropped me. for money and when you have gave it all to them because you believe there lies. You will end up with nothing and they will still bill you for them doing what you could of done on your own. Its just sad.

I did believe they could help me untill I could keep up on there ridiculous payment plan.

It would of been worth it if they did something.

But I lost everything and was left with a stupid bill. Which I dont think I should have to pay.

Cons:
  • Took long to understand case

User's recommendation: Interview more and 5 diving lawyers. Pick everything apart. Ask questions. Don't take there word for anything. Remember they are paid to lie. They went to school to learn how to lie.

i agree

Orlando S Reo
map-marker East Brunswick, New Jersey

Unfair practices.

This whole process felt like I was buying a car from a dealership. During my initial consult, the attorneys representing the firm we're men advocating for Father's rights.

They answered my questions well and were very courteous. Once I agreed to retain them, I was immediately switched to a completely different team comprised of women, including my TRO attorney Christine Dolan. She was unempathetic towards my case and situation and also made me feel very uncomfortable with her lack of sensitivity to this matter. Her comments offended me when she began to relate her feelings to the Plaintiff's (ex-wife) in the matter.

This was a total bait and switch tactic used in many industries. I was convinced by salesmen and then switched to people that had no sympathy for a client that is going through one of the worst moments in my life. I am disgusted at the amount of money I paid this firm for nothing to happen in the end. No trial.

No in person meetings. Overcharged on the invoices, and closed my account in worse shape than when I retained Cordell and Cordell. It was clear my attorney had zero experience with foreigners. I had to explain in detail what the app Whatsapp is about.

Don't expect to be in touch with the Men from the consultation and if they call you they will overcharge you for the amount of time you are on the phone. They could call for a mistake on their end and still charge you for the phone call explanation. They may all give their phone numbers and tell you to call whenever you want, but that will come at a hefty price. In the beginning don't expect much attention to your matter, this is a big law firm with many clients and cases and only give you undivided attention the closer you get to your trial.

Yet, they will charge you from the beginning as if they give you undivided attention from the beginning. My experience was horrible and I'm left with thousands of dollars in debt for a trial that never happened.

Loss:
Pros:
  • First impression
Cons:
  • Overpriced
  • Overpricing of services
  • Unempathetic

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Seek another attorney.

Brands Related to Cordell And Cordell

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article